Attracting and engaging top level IT talent is a huge challenge for any B2B company, even IT staffing companies like Modis. As the economy improves, there is the additional challenge of fewer talented resources available for hire. How do you overcome these challenges in your business and – in the case of Modis – how do we deliver the best of the best talent to our clients? Below are a few ideas:
- Develop relationships. Do you know the “best of the best” IT talent in your region? Are you connecting with those individuals and their peers on a regular basis to foster and grow your relationship with them? Understand what will make them move to their next opportunity.
- Get involved in user groups. Attend user group meetings and learn more about technology. We need to be at the forefront of trends so we are ready to attract the right talent at the right time.
- Ensure that top talent knows you. Get networked in the right skill sets.
- Introduce your senior and most seasoned IT talent to your mid-level and junior colleagues to develop synergy within your team.
- Make your job profiles clear. You can get better results in your hiring process by ensuring that your job profiles clearly define the objectives for the position and the skills necessary to meet those objectives.
- Make training a priority within your company. Top IT talent wants more than just a paycheck, they want to be valued and increase their value by adding knowledge and skills.
- Ensure that feedback is part of your culture. Once you’ve hired the right talent, solicit their feedback through online surveys, and polls as well as conversations and meetings.
The phrase, “It’s a marathon, not a sprint” is certainly applicable when thinking about the challenge of finding and keeping top talent in our industry. We need to strive every day, to get a little better and challenge ourselves to do everything we can to find the best of the best when recruiting, hiring and retaining IT talent.
Kevin Brooks has over six years of Sales and Recruiting experience. He has been with Modis the last three years where he started as a Resource Development Manager. He is currently a Business Development Manager for the Modis branch office in Richmond, VA. You can connect with him on LinkedIn.