The July regional employment report from the Bureau of Labor Statistics has been released and the IT industry added more jobs than most industries around the country. Month-over-month employment in the tech sector increased in 34 states and 46 states saw year-over-year growth in the industry. Professional, Scientific and Technical Services, a sub-sector of the Professional and Business Services industry, experienced a slight increase in the unemployment rate, up from 2.9% last month to 3.1%. However, this number is still well below the national rate of 5.3%.
Outside the tech sector, month-over-month job additions occurred in 34 states. Most notably, all four regions of the United States saw decreases in their unemployment rates from last month.
IT Industry At-a-Glance
The Professional and Business Services sector continues to add new workers each month. July’s numbers are proof of the industry’s stability with the addition of 40,000 jobs. Computer systems design and related services added 8,700 jobs and architectural and engineering services added 6,400. As previously mentioned, the tech sector is a high performer in most states. Here is a look at the top 5 states adding the most IT jobs:
- California +22,300 IT jobs added
- Michigan +7,900 IT jobs added
- Maryland +7,900 IT jobs added
- Indiana +6,100 IT jobs added
- Florida +4,000 IT jobs added
The industry also saw significant year-over-year growth with 44 states experiencing growth in the sector. Take a look at the 5 states with the highest IT job growth and the top 3 states with highest overall job growth year-over-year:
- California +156,100 IT jobs added, +494,300 new jobs added since last year
- Florida +40,200 IT jobs added, +271,500 new jobs added since last year
- Texas +35,800 IT jobs added, +260,500 new jobs added since last year
- New York +32,200 IT jobs added
- Michigan +30,300 IT jobs added
Insight into Regional Employment Figures
Once again, the Midwest had the lowest regional unemployment rate, at 4.8 percent, a 0.2% drop from last month. Across all regions, unemployment rates dropped month-over-month and year-over-year.
- Northeast -0.2% from June to June, -0.8% year-over-year
- Midwest -0.2% from June to June, -0.9% year-over-year
- South -0.1% from June to June, -0.8% year-over-year
- West -0.1% from June to June, -1.0% year-over-year
Region-by-Region Fast Facts
Connecting With Exceptional IT Talent
As the IT industry continues to grow, hiring exceptional talent will become increasingly more difficult. We are currently experiencing a candidate driven market where businesses need to connect with the best talent as quickly as possibly. Modis can help you reach top tech workers and move your business forward. Contact one of our 60 locations across the U.S. to start hiring exceptional IT talent today.