The latest regional employment report from the Bureau of Labor Statistics has been released and the IT industry is adding more jobs than most industries around the country. Month-over-month employment in the tech sector increased in 32 states. This is no surprise following the strong national jobs report released at the beginning of the month that showed a significant drop in the IT unemployment rate. Professional, Scientific and Technical Services, a sub-sector of the Professional and Business Services industry, is currently showing an unemployment rate of 2.9%. The last time we saw a rate lower than that was 7 years ago.
Outside of the tech sector, month-over-month job additions occurred in 31 states, however, 17 states saw job losses. Year-over-year numbers were a bit more encouraging as 48 states saw employment increases. These stats further signify the continuing momentum for IT and solidify the sector’s spot as a top performing industry.
In-Depth Look at the IT Industry
One industry that continues to add new workers each month is the Professional and Business Services sector. June’s numbers are proof of the industry’s stability with the addition of 64,000 jobs. Temporary help services contributed 20,000 of those jobs and computer systems design and related services and architectural and engineering services contributed 4,000 jobs. As previously mentioned, the tech sector is a high performer in most states. Here is a look at the top 5 states adding the most IT jobs and the top 3 states with highest total jobs added in June:
- California +12,700 IT jobs added, +23,000 jobs added overall
- Texas +8,300 IT jobs added, +16,000 jobs added overall
- New York +6,000 IT jobs added, +25,000 jobs added overall
- Massachusetts +5,200 jobs added
- Michigan +4,900 IT jobs added
The industry also saw significant year-over-year growth with 45 states experiencing growth in the sector. Take a look at the 5 states with the highest IT job growth and the top 3 states with highest overall job growth year-over-year:
- California +133,100 IT jobs added, +461,900 new jobs added since last year
- Texas +47,700 IT jobs added, +269,900 new jobs added since last year
- Florida +40,200 IT jobs added, +266,200 new jobs added since last year
- New York +32,500 IT jobs added
- Georgia +25,700 IT jobs added
Regional Employment Figures At-a-Glance
The Midwest has the lowest regional unemployment rate, at 5.o percent, which is a 0.1% drop from the month prior. Month-over-month and year-over-year unemployment rate decreases occurred in most regions. Take a look:
- Northeast -0.2% from May to June, -0.7% year-over-year
- Midwest -0.1% from May to June, -0.8% year-over-year
- South -0.1% from May to June, -0.7% year-over-year
- West 0% from May to June, -0.9% year-over-year
Region-by-Region Fast Facts
Hiring the Right Talent
As the IT industry gains momentum, hiring exceptional talent will become increasingly harder. Right now, we are experience a candidate driven market where businesses need to connect with the best talent as quickly as possibly. Modis can help you reach top tech workers and move your business forward. Contact one of our 60 locations across the U.S. to start hiring exceptional IT talent today.