The Internet is a cool place full of expanding opportunities and cutting edge technology. For many folks in the IT world and beyond, it allows us the freedom to work outside of the nine-to-five slog and tackle many unique and fulfilling jobs without ever having to set foot in a stuffy office setting. Working remotely can be an exhilarating way to make a living, but it also has its downsides too.
From battling loneliness to squashing boredom, here are some tips on how to shake up the grind and stay fresh, sane, and productive in any work-from-home position:
1) Don’t forget to take regular breaks – When you’re in the groove and there’s no one else around, it’s easy to stay so focused on your work that you forget to take proper breaks. It’s always good to get up to stretch and walk around every so often. Fix yourself a cup of tea or coffee. Clear your mind. Play a few rounds of your favorite online puzzle game. You’ll return to work rejuvenated and refocused afterwards.
2) Switch up your work location – If you have a laptop with Wi-Fi access and a cell phone handy, you can do some jobs from just about anywhere. Why not setup shop on your back deck on a sunny day for a nice change of pace or hoof it out to the local coffee shop? A change of scenery every so often will do you some good, even if it’s a move from your home office to the living room for a day.
3) Interact with other humans face-to-face – Not having co-workers can be a big perk for some telecommuters, but limited human interaction each day and the lack of a water cooler to gather around means the work day can be a lonely place. Take every opportunity you can outside of work hours to meet up with friends, family, and loved ones to fill that void. Regular social interaction is very important.
4) Get out of the house – There are days where working in a stuffy home office can be just as bad as working in a cubicle farm. Fresh air, sunshine, anda little exercise can be just the thing to shake away the mental cobwebs.
5) Vary your work routine – The monotony of tackling the same tasks over and over again without leaving the house each day can wear anyone down. Try doing your work tasks in a different order and switching up your schedule to add freshness to your routine.
Whether you’re a freelancer working in a home office or a tech geek with your nose buried in your screen for 12 hours straight, everyone needs to strike that ever-important balance to keep from hitting the wall. Feel free to hit the comments section below to share any of your own telecommuting tips that help brighten your workday and keep you sane.