There are certain days of the year that just stand out from others. From traditional holidays like Memorial Day and the 4th of July to geek culture days like Pi Day in March and Back to the Future Day in November, for one reason or another, we always look forward to seeing these dates on our calendars. And May 14th is definitely one of those days. On this day, we celebrate the birthday of two geek pioneers: George Lucas and Mark Zuckerberg.
Today George Lucas turns 70, and Mark Zuckerberg turns 30. Coincidence? We think not. To prove our point, we’ve highlighted some of the key things they have in common (despite the 40 years between them) and other various evidence that suggests this may be more than just a coincidence:
- Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom was released the same month Mark Zuckerberg was born.
- Both live in the Bay Area of California with Lucas residing in Marin County and Zuckerberg in Palo Alto.
- Lucas and Zuckerberg have both committed to donating at least 50% of their wealth to philanthropic causes via The Giving Pledge over a course of time.
- Zuckerberg considers himself a Star Wars geek and reportedly had a Star Wars-themed bar mitzvah.
- Star Wars has nearly 12M likes on Facebook.
- They’re both on the Forbes Billionaires list. As of yesterday at 5pm EST, Zuckerberg was #22 with $26.8B net worth, and George Lucas ranked #302 with $5B.
- They share a love of animation. Zuckerberg has guest starred on The Simpsons, and Lucas was involved in the Family Guy parody of Star Wars.
Coincidence or not, we’d like to wish a very happy birthday to both George Lucas and Mark Zuckerberg. These two gentlemen have irrefutably shaped pop culture and our lives, and we thank them for their creativity and genius. Long live the geeks!